Tuesday, January 11, 2011

And you thought being an author was all glamour

I've been in procrastination mode lately, and I was falling behind on the new book.  So, early to bed, early to rise, early to the page . . .

The writing day did not start out well.  in fact, by the time I'd been at it an hour, I had about 100 words.  Oh dear.  Then came lunch--my favorite meal of the day.  Finished reading the paper while I chowed down on curried black beans and rice and then showed up at the lap top once more.

And played about ten games of Solitaire.  And felt guilty because I wasn't working.

Then I lost my Internet signal.  For about half an hour.  PANIC!  PANIC!  I must know what's going on in my tiny world.  I must not miss one email.  I must be able to access Facebook at all moments of the day!!!

After messing around with the router, I got it back again.  Whew.  Dodged a bullet.

Back to work.  This time, I exited the Solitaire game.  For good. (Well, for the day.)

Wrote a sentence.  Checked my email.  Wrote a sentence.  Checked facebook.  Wrote a sentence, did a piece of research.  Wrote a sentence.  Ripped some hair from my head.

The problem is/was -- I had no fresh ideas.  I had to get Tricia and Angelica from one scene to the next. Scenes A and C were written.  I just had to connect them.

So I tossed in something unexpected.  Whoa!  That worked like a charm.

Bottom line:  the first 750 words of the day took five hours to write.  The next 1100 words took half an hour to write.

Why can't I have more half hours like that one?

6 comments:

  1. How'd you get that picture of me????????

    I need some of those half hours, too! Send one -- or a hundred my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do with a couple of half hours like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always the unexpected that gives the extra boost. Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muse is overbooked. Your next half hour appointment is January 23 at 3:30am - don't be late . So glad the brain dam broke for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I started writing, I thought all writers did was sit down at a desk and write and the words just magically flowed. Ho, ho, ho! Well, lesson long since learned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughing, I thought I was the only one with the procrastionation bug :)

    ReplyDelete