Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Good Night's Sleep. Is It Overrated?

I've never been a good sleeper.  I often wake up for several hours during the night and read or just toss and turn.  I caught a cold over Christmas and made the mistake of sitting up in a chair on the worst nights when I was so stuffed that I couldn't breathe.

Guess what?  I'm now stuck in a rerun of sleepless nights.  We're talking EVERY NIGHT for almost three weeks now.  I've been averaging between 4 and 5 hours of sleep a night--on a good night.
Quite frankly, I'm pooped!

I've got some tried and true home remedies that I should have been using:  hot milk with nutmeg or Ovaltine have always been my middle of the night friends.  But have I gone to the microwave to heat up the milk?  Nope.  I kept thinking if I saw the same boring newscast on our 24 hours news station or kept watching the same forecasts on the Weather Channel that it would bore me to sleep. Nope!  Right now I know far more than I really need to about the amount of snow in Revere, MA hundreds of miles to the east of me, thank you very much.

But I've had it.  Tonight if I can't sleep, I'm hauling out the Ovaltine.

What do you do when you can't sleep?

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a 'good sleeper' either! My drink of choice is a cup of herbal tea, mint or chamomile. Then knit or crochet for awhile. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I just give up and try to do something quiet and productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not a "good sleeper" either, never have been, what I do to help is read till I get so sleepy then I put my sleep eye mask on and that knocks me right out, However I never wake up with my eye mask still on but it does work. I hope you will find what works for you and get the best night sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that when I can't sleep it is because my mind either conscious or the subconscious. So I try the tv thing but that doesn't always work, however I love to write and that usually allows me to get off my mind what is bothering me. Thus allowing me to sleep either with a resolution or at least knowing what is bothering me. I hope this helps anyone that reads this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shouldn't comment on this since I'm usually an excellent sleeper, but on occasion something trips me and I have a difficult night. Usually it's because I'm sick or having back issues, but I've found that 1 Tylenol PM will generally relax me enough that I sleep that night and it breaks the being awake habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only time I might have problems sleeping is when I'm sick and by accident I took 2 teaspoons (or those little cups) of Nyquil and had the best sleep ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lie perfectly still with eyes closed.
    Take a deep breath, hold it for 5-10 seconds and think relax as you breathe out. Repeat until you are in dreamland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I can't help. My major talent is sleeping. :-D Well, except on planes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should never admit this on a writer's blog - but I can read myself to sleep. I just have to find a boring book. (Not any of yours, of course.)

    ReplyDelete