Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No soup for me!

Soup nazi Lately I've been thinking a lot about the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld.  Not that I particularly liked any of the the episodes but that nasty line of dialogue, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" keeps repeating in my ear.

Why?

Because I love soup.  I've been making a lot of soup these past two years, and soup and hot weather just don't go together.

Don't tell me to make a chilled soup.  Ick!  (And some of them are just plain weird.  Chilled watermelon soup?  Why not just say watermelon slushy?)

I've got a hankering to make black bean soup.  And 16 bean soup.  And I've been afraid to make my own dahl (lentils) just . . . because.  (Have you ever seen the yards-long ingredient list?)

But in the last couple of days the weather has gotten . . . nice.  We're talking not horribly humid, and not devastatingly hot.  And what am I thinking about?

Soup!

I love leek and potato soup and included the recipe in one of my books (Bookmarked for Death?).  I haven't made that one in a while.  Seems to me there's usually snow on the ground when I make it, although the last time I made it was in October 2009.  I made it for my Dad who'd just been transferred back from the hospital to the nursing home.  It was the last real meal that he ate.  (And I fed it to him, spoonful by spoonful.)  Maybe that's why I haven't made it.  It's too painful remembering.  But I made it with love in my heart and he was grateful to eat it.

But back to that 16 bean soup . . . I only recently found out I can BUY frozen ham hocks at Wegmans.  (Who knew?)

I'm not in a hurry to see summer end (especially now that the weather has calmed down a little), but ... I'm ready for a nice bowl of hearty soup.  (And no, not made with any kind of animal hearts.  Ick.)

What's your favorite soup?
.

10 comments:

  1. I have a good potato soup recipe that I love to make. Make some homemade bread to go with it and it can't be beat. Also love chili, tortillia soup is good for a cold Iowa day as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good recipe for Bison Cheeseburger Soup. Everyone in the family (except for my picky one - who doesn't like soup) just loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I have NEVER made bread. For some reason, the very thought of playing with yeast terrifies me. (I think I read The Egg and I too many times, and Betty MacDonald's problems with her breadmaking scared me silly.)

    I keep threatening to try it sometime, but so far have resisted the urge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even think about soup until around October, but then I get the urge to make some, and I also like to make bread. If you hesitate to try bread-making, try the frozen loaves at your supermarket. Super easy to do and tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite soup is my Mom's homemade Vegtable Beef Soup. Yum! Yum! If you are afraid to make bread, try the "Krusteaz" box mixes for bread. The cracked wheat and the white taste almost as good as from scratch. I make them when I am to lazy to make homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have been thinking of soup. Mostly (right now) chicken noodle. But hubby's in the hospital/rehab & going to see him twice a day (even though he's only several blocks away) doesn't leave much time for cooking from scratch. And I'm usually too tired by the end of the day. So, I'll continue to listen to your soup sagas & take to heart the Krusteaz box mixes for semi-homemade bread. Great tip! (Would someone like to come over & cook for me?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie, so sorry to hear your Mr. L is in rehab (Knee/hip surgery? My Mr. L has had both knees done. Hope he doesn't need anything else replaced.)

    Rats. I was just at the store. Will have to put Krusteaz on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the fall, I love pumpkin or butternut squash soup. Rich and creamy. Of course, chili always works (if we count that as soup).

    For ham and bean soup, I like to make cornbeard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our favorite is split pea soup made in the crockpot. It's good with or without meat. Soup is more of a winter lunch, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love black bean soup....it's the only soup I make from scratch.

    ReplyDelete