Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I know it's autumn because . . .

Okay, to be technical--fall doesn't arrive until Friday, but it officially arrives for me today.  Why?
Baggie The pool gets closed.

Why does that make me sad when I haven't gone swimming in the thing for at least five years?  Because the pool uncovered is a beautiful thing.  Especially this year because we paid to have it cleaned every other week.  It sparkles.  But when it's closed, it's ugly.  It's a blunt reminder that SUMMER IS OVER and we're going TO FREEZE FOR MONTHS ON END.

I hate pool closing.

But . . . the seasons must change.  It's time to think about other things.  We'll soon be going down to our basement pub in the evenings.  It's got the world's most comfortable couch, a bar, tons of books and magazines to read, music, TV--it's like a 2nd living room.  (Okay, we already have three other living rooms, but it's my favorite one.)

What event marks the end of summer for you?
_______________________________________
BTW, RECIPES TO DIE FOR: A Victoria Square Cookbook is now available for Nook.  Will have an update on the print version in the next couple of days.
.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like summer is over the minute our local fair closes for the year. Sept. 1st I get into fall mode, ready for hot tea, more serious reading, watching the leaves turn, oh yeah and cleaning up the house and yard for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Summer's over & winter's closing in when the sun goes down before 7 pm. I LIVE for the Winter Solstice & the days start getting longer. Only thing that gets me thru winter. (I lump anything that isn't Spring or Summer into W-I-N-T-E-R.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting the comforter on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the sun is down before 7. When the first drizzly rain is here on a Sunday melting me into my couch with books for the day. When my rear end starts to expand from all the laying and sitting. When the catnip in the garden finishes blooming and dies back, leaving my black cat Feathers to stand there and stare sadly as the summer memories pass her by again at her age of 15 years. When she stands in the rain by her sunchair staring up at the sky wishing for a patch of sunlight.
    When the outside home projects can no longer be done until next spring due to rain. When all of a sudden, I want to bake every day, bring out the comfy blankets and comforter, great well worn sweatshirts and my collection of coats. When I wake up with the pure joy that shorts are over with and I can go out into the world covered up, from head to toe, hiding my extra pounds as God intended. Once again stepping out without fear of extra pounds being seen, instead stylish in scarves, coats,and ahhhh sweathers. Finally!

    ReplyDelete