Monday, January 20, 2020

I'm Rocking the Cat

My cat, Poppy, is a rambunctious little girl. Her favorite thing to do is to "flip and flop." She loves to roll around on the rug looking as cute as a button.



Unfortunately, she likes to flip and flop on my lap, too, and it never ends well. But I've finally found a trick to keep that wiggle-worm still. I rock her--like a baby. When I'm at the computer and she jumps onto my lap, I scoop her into my arms and we sit and have a cuddle.  This has turned our mom-and-girl time into a much more pleasant experience for both of us. (When I'm sitting on the couch, Poppy likes me to have an afghan on my lap. She'll liable to sit with me more often when I've got an afghan.)

As it turns out, Poppy likes to watch YouTube videos almost as much as I do. Just this week we've watched episodes of Restaurant Impossible and What's for Tea? (Love What's for Tea? It's about Scottish woman, named Sheryl, who cooks dinner (sharing the recipes) often in a crock pot, or a grocery store haul, and she ends her videos with beautiful shots of Scotland. (I love her!) This is the kind of food I grew up with. (My mother wasn't Scottish, but my Dad was half Scot.) This is the kind of food I want to make.  (Poppy is content with 9 Lives.)

But Poppy isn't just a mama's girl. Lately, she's developed an independent streak. Instead of spending all her time with us in our offices, she's been snoozing on the couch or behind the living room drape. Go figure. But our times together are much more calm (with a lot less biting) than they used to be just because I finally figured out what she needed as opposed to what she wants.

Does your pet require you to adapt to its needs?


3 comments:

  1. How sweet. Sounds like she loves to be near you. Tyler is a funny pup. I have to rub him where he wants to be rubbed. Believe me he has a way of letting us know. When he wants my mom's attention, he will sit beside her and hit her till she rubs him. They are all the best arent they. (Betty Tyler)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat wants me to adapt to how/when/what/where he wants, I however have never given in, though after 8+ years, you'd think he'd get it, but he keeps trying..lol.. it's a stand-off of 2 strong wills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reese has been sitting next to me in my chair vs sitting on top of the chair. I must admit that it is nice to have her heat on my side.

    ReplyDelete