Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's Minty Fresh all right . . .

And the dental implant saga continues.

On Monday, the "procedure" had a few bumps.  The digital xray machine wasn't working right.  Instead of two x-rays, I ended up having four.  (GRRRRRR.  I could go the airport if I wanted that kind of radition treatment.)  And the oral surgeon/dentist needed to cut more of my gums than he thought he would, so I have an extra stitch that hangs out of one of my front teeth. I keep forgetting it's there and think--"Oh, something's stuck in my tooth" and have nearly pulled it out twice now.

Luckily, once the Novocaine wore off, it didn't hurt at all.  My face again didn't swell up.  Win-win, huh?
Not exactly.  You have to swish your mouth (for a FULL MINUTE) with a minty-fresh special mouthwash that will kill the germs keep the area free of food debris.  (Take my word for it, that one, full minute seems like about 40 when you're swishing this stuff around.  Suddenly your body goes into I NEED TO SWALLOW mode--only you can't.)

Um, and the taste?  It's minty fresh all right.  But then it leaves a horrible aftertaste that sticks with you for HOURS.  No wonder they have you do it after breakfast and before bed.  It takes HOURS to get rid of that icky metalic taste.  (And, if experience is any guide, I know it really takes pouring the stuff down the sink and never using it again to finally get rid of it.)

Okay, I don't want an infection, so I'm going to keep this up for a while, and then switch to Listerine like I did last time. It tastes bad, too, but it doesn't leave an aftertaste that lasts for hours (and ruins your lunch).

Meanwhile, my tongue has lots to play with.  Metal caps, stitches, raw gums.  Yeah.  Fun!

And how will you be spending today?

7 comments:

  1. My son feels your pain. He had gum surgery a few years ago (he was 14 at the time) and had to use that rinse because he couldn't brush for a few days. He *hated* it.

    Hope your mouth feels better soon! Today for us is a college visit, and then pie making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's ICKY!!!

    Shouldn't it be Jenn making the pies? We're going to carrot cake this year. (Sans frosting.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain as I go back for my third and hopefully final procedure on Saturday. What I hate most is when he gives me the shot, some of the stuff falls down my throat. Gag me.

    Not much going on today, perhaps doing some book shopping for me.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dru, what are you having done? Yeah, when the assistant put the "topical" in my mouth, I swallowed some of it and--Oops! I had a numb throat for about five minutes. Very weird feeling.

    Actually, it doesn't hurt at all. I'll just be glad when I can stop swishing that icky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My procedures were minor compared to yours, but three teeth broke (upper, lower left and uppper right) and one of them he had to dig into my gum and took longer than the hour and I was in pain most of the day. Any dentist procedure is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, that sounds painful. The most painful part of my procedure was the extraction of $$$ from my wallet. I'm so glad I got a new contract for the Booktown series. The way my teeth are falling apart, I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorna, your dental experience is bringing back all kinds of memories for me from the past couple of years. Extractions, implants, gum grafts, impacted wisdom tooth/infection surgery, disgusting mouth rinses ... um, sorry, I'm getting carried away; you don't want to hear all that! Sorry that your procedure is happening around the holidays. But at least you're not in pain. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete