Tuesday, November 23, 2010

To Frost or Not to Frost?

Here in the Land of Lorna -- we've always had pie for Thanksgiving Day Dessert.  One or two people have a tiny slice and then nobody wants the leftovers.  Mr. L usually spends the next couple of weeks eating said pies for breakfast. (Naturally, I freeze them in individual slices.)  However, much as he loves pies, Mr. L gets sick of them after a while.  So this year I've decided to do something different for Thanksgiving dessert:  carrot cake.

Hey, it's got veggies in it--it's good for you, right?  There's just one problem:  I can't stand that cream cheese frosting.  Ick--it's too sweet and cloying and kinda slimy, too.  I thought I'd make a lovely carrot cake in a bundt pan and lightly dust it with confectioner's sugar.

Whoa, Nelly!  Brother and Hubby don't WANT it lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar.  They want the whole thing slathered in slimy icing.

Okay, I'm game to have cream cheese frosting on hand, then anyone who wants it can dig in, but since it's likely I'm the one who'll be eating carrot cake for the next two weeks for breakfast, I don't want my breakfast covered in goop.

So, what do you think I should do?  Frosting or sugar?

9 comments:

  1. HIya Lorna, I think you should do half frosted and half sugar. then everyone wins. Happy thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whipped cream--everyone can then choose just how much (or none) they want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of having the frosting available on the side. I found this fabulous recipe for carrot cake on recipes.com. Many of the comments suggested cutting the powdered sugar in half (from 4 cups down to 2, leaving all other ingredients the same). I did this and it wasn't too sweet at all. The cream cheese flavor came through REALLY strong.

    Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather than cream cheese frosting, how about just a nice maple butter cream? I like the maple flavor with the spices of a carrot cake and it's a fall flavor. Cream cheese frosting might be a bit much after a lot of dinner so I can understand how you feel but maybe another type of frosting will satisfy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a dessert! You get tired of the same old thing. Having the creme cheese frosting on the side is the best way. You can dust it with powdered sugar, all of it and the ones wanting the icing can ice over it on their plate, cause what is the icing made of cream cheese and powdered sugar right? Have a lovely Thanksgiving Lorna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be more work, but you could get one of those mini-bundt pans - like muffin tins only slightly bigger and has about six mini bundt slots instead of muffin slots. Then you can frost one or two for your husband and brother and leave the others unfrosted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just serve the cream cheese frosting on the side...

    ReplyDelete