Monday, March 21, 2011

Getting a little ahead of myself . . .

There isn't one traditionally published author alive who hasn't felt s/he could've done a better art direction job than our big NY publishers.  (For the most part, I'm pretty happy with my Berkley Prime Crime covers--especially for the Booktown Mystery series.  But there have been a couple I would've made rather extensive changes to.)

One of the best things about self-publishing your own work is you get to play art director.  Okay, my first attempts were pretty lame, but thanks to eavesdropping on discussions on good cover presentation, and the marvelous covers my cover designer has made for my Jeff Resnick books -- I think I'm getting better at it.

Lonely B&N Here's the cover for my latest short story, a sweet romance called Are You Lonely tonight.  I got input from my friends Ellery Adams and Leann Sweeney, and my graphic designer husband put it together.  What do you think?

It's Available On/From:

Kindle

Nook

Smashwords

(And did I mention it's only 99 cents?)

Spirit_Cover I'm currently working on a new Jeff Resnick short story.  I figure I'm only halfway done writing it, but I got so cranked up by it I went looking for pictures to illustrate it.  Here's what Mr. L and I came up with.

I allowed myself all of last week to catch up on stuff (a quick rewrite, and some other work that needed completion) so I'm back on the WIP (the third Victoria Square Mystery) which means that working on the short story is relegated to the evenings.  But I hope to have the story available in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, do you like the cover?  Would it make you want to read the story?

5 comments:

  1. I love the cover for the Jeff Resnick short story. It's different from the other ones, but I like it.

    Read it, I waiting patiently for this one.

    After I'm finished with the book I'm reading now, I plan to devour Bound by Suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one for for the Resnick grabbed me. The other one is nice but I can't say it would catch my attention if it were in a group with a lot of others. Maybe because of the B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them both, really. great post.

    I woke up Sunday a.m. to find my blog, my 500 plus followers, my 100plus author interviews, and my 200 plus reviews gone. Blogger gave no explanation, but I think the account was hacked. Change your password often!

    I have reloaded the interviews and reviews, plus redesigned the blog. But if you could, please hit the "follow" button so I can reclaim the fellow bloggers I miss. I'm still following you, as my account remained--thank goodness!
    http://kellymoranauthor.blogspot.com

    Thank you!
    Kelly Moran
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I think you are really getting better -- by leaps and bounds! -- at your art direction.

    While I agree w/Linda L. about personally not being particularly 'grabbed' by black & white covers, my first impression of "Are You Lonely Tonight?' is: Sleek. Stylish. Classy. And Interesting. Everything hits the right buttons, including the fonts, the division of 3s, and how the blacks, whites, and grays, co-mingle perfectly. You and Mr. B. have done a superlative job.

    As for Jeff's cover ... wildly enthusiastic applause!! Super, super, super!!! You go, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the B/W cover for "Are You Lonely Tonight." I have to agree that it is classy and stylish. I'm not as enthusiastic about the cover for "When The Spirit Moves You." Sorry!

    ReplyDelete