Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chester the Dusting Cat

Chester stanind on desk Many people have pets that do tricks.

Our cat Chester dusts.

That's right.  At least he WANTS to dust.  That must be the reason that any piece of cloth not nailed down (and usually smelling of Pledge) gets picked up and moved around the house.

I'll get up in the middle of the night to get a drink and there will be a dust cloth in the middle of the hall.  Just like the one I found yesterday.  (I left it there until morning so I could take this shot.)

Chester's_dust_rag

Of course, as a "wool eater," Chester is obsessed with anything made of fabric.  Kitty toys, dust cloths, dish towels (he's even hauled full-sized bath towels around, and for a small cat, that's a lot of work).

Chester's work is never done.  When he's not moving cloth objects around, he watches birds, annoys girl cats, takes leisurely kitty baths under a 200 watt light bulb, or jumps on my lap to rub his wet yucky nose on my hand or stand on my keyboard and disrupt my typing.

Yes, he's a busy boy.

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

What interesting thing does your pet do?

5 comments:

  1. I have a shizacockapoohund (that's part shizu cocker poodle and dachound) that "protects" socks, the stuffing out of her toys or any other cloth object wheather we want her to or not. She is very good at it to. So one day when I was home alone with her I taught her to chase her tail on command. She hasn't quite figured out what to do with it yet but she will turn one direction to catch it and then when I tell her to go the other way, she will reverse her spin. She is truly free entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat is really good at opening cupboard doors and getting his own food & treats. I tried to move their treats to a cupboard above the fridge and he managed to get in there also. I had to temporarily put them in the microwave to keep him out until I could put child-proof locks on the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for cat stories. Have you seen the story on Animal Planet about the klepto cat who takes things from neighbors? The cat has been featured on some talk shows, too. Quite funny.

    One of my cats can open cabinet doors, too. Thought when I no longer had little kids I wouldn't need those gizmos that keep the doors hooked. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our late, lamented dachshund had a fairly large bag of 'tricks.' One that she absolutely EXCELLED at was raiding wastebaskets and eating the used Kleenix tissues. Yeah. Ick, gross! Needless to say, the only wastebaskets we could keep were the ones with covers. Then, she was convinced she should have had HOOVER tattooed along her sides. (Would have worn a miner's cap w/a light, too, I think.) It was her God-given DUTY -- according to her -- to go after anything that fell to the floor (or got 'helped' to the floor) to investigate and then eat. Anything. While somewhat disconcerting at times, it certainly came in handy at the table or in the kitchen. Almost didn't have to mop the floor, it was so clean. Almost. I still make sure when I back away from the kitchen sink that I don't step on her & she's been gone 5 years. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our toy poodle Kady always grabbed the tp out of my hand if I wasn't paying attention. Yes, she'd follow me to the bathroom. She has a ratty old stuffed duck, and when my hubby and I are both busy around the house and ignoring her, she'll grab the duck, find a rug, and just hold it in her mouth. It's her security duck, when she's not the center of attention. Love pet stories, and sorry for the loss of your dachs, ponyswimgal. Karen

    ReplyDelete