Monday, June 6, 2011

Tear-Out Time

For years I have saved nearly all the decorating magazines I've received.  I'm literally drowning in them.  It's time to lighten the load.

I thought it would be hard to part with them, but as it turns out--it's not.  I'm going through the stacks and tearing out the pages that interest me, and tossing the rest.

Victroria Of course there are still some magazines that I simply won't toss out.  One of them is Victoria Magazine.  I have most of the issues from it's first incarnation and all of them from its second (and duplicates on most of those, too, which I keep at the family cottage). 


Also, I won't get rid of Teatime magazine.  The photography is just gorgeous, and they highlight lots of different china patterns with their recipes.  Nope, no negotiation on these two.

But now I have to start sorting all those pages I'm tearing out.

What magazines do you subscribe to that you won't toss out?


Lorna-Lorraine sig

6 comments:

  1. Oh-we are alike in this way. I LOVE magazines. Sometimes they stack up so badly I have them in a rubbermaid bin. Here are a few things I have found out. Food magazines often have their recipes online-so before ripping I look for them there (I pass/share all my magazines and hate passing them mutilated). Sometimes in decorating magazines if there is a list/directions-that can also be found online. Sometimes I will take a picture and save that instrad of ripping. When all else fails, a big binder with page protectors is a great way to store ripped treasures. You will find over time you will toss and replace. I do not mutilate my tea time or victoria. Sitting down with them and tea/coffee is just too heavenly.I subscribe to Oprah, All You (coupons), and Food Network Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece called me a hoarder, so we went through some of my stuff and took it to goodwill, including fabric. I kept what I wanted. Also, I took many books to the library to donate. This way other people can enjoy my unused things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my life I've saved recipes and pictures of projects for my house, but like wildwomanwriter I've discovered all of that stuff is online so there's no reason for me to clutter up my house with those things anymore. I have saved too many unread National Geographics and American History magazines which I never have time to read. All are cancelled now but still the stacks remain. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara-I know, it is sad when there is not enough time to read. This is what I do now with some magazines. I take them with me on trips. I read them on the plane and leave them for someone else. I do the same in the condo/place we are staying. It has helped. Also, sometimes I will just bless someone-if someone comes over and says "I really need those for school" sometimes I just hand them over. It makes me feel good then-like the money I spent was not wasted and now my space is a little clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep my Victoria magazines too. I just never tire of looking at them. For years I saved Early American Life then finally donated them to the library when they became more of curiosities! You know, it's just a passion of mine along with being a bibliophile. I don't even try to reform anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep all Taste of Home magazines just for the recipes. Have I made any of them????? Maybe one or two but no more than that. I just like to keep them just incase. :)

    ReplyDelete