Thursday, June 2, 2011

What am I doing in the kitchen when I'm not ready to cook?

Tonya Thomas by Guest Blogger Tonya Thomas

I don't know about you, but I'm either losing my mind or I just don't pay attention to the things going on in my life.

More than once a day I'll head into my kitchen from some other part of my house and stand there and look around wondering what the heck I'm doing there.

Okay, I'll admit it. I have a lot on my mind.  In this day and age--wouldn't you?  Worrying about gasoline prices, encroaching inflation and where the heck am I going to get my next idea for my current story ... why wouldn't I be preoccupied by something or other.

In general, writers are just plain weird. I mean, think of it. We live in fantasy worlds and get paid for it. (Nice, when it actually happens, I might add. And it doesn't happen nearly often enough.)
Diet_cover.sm I primarily write short stories about women in complicated relationships. I have better things to think about than does the washer need fabric softener or should I use fat-free or lite salad dressing on my salad?

But these lapses of memory do concern me.  Am I really losing it or am I really just wrapped up in other things?  I don't know -- and until I try to drive to the grocery store and end up three counties over ... maybe I'll pretend to be like Scarlett O'Hara and worry about it . . . tomorrow.

So tell me, do you experience these same lapses and what do you think (or do) about them?

-------------------------------------

Thomas_THE_EDGE_AND_I.sm Tonya Thomas is an award-winning author who currently writes women's fiction.  You can find her stories available for Kindle, Nook, Smashwords and other e readers.  Her box set, THE EDGE AND I, contains five stories for the price of three.  You can find her at her website/blog, on Facebook, and Twitter (@TonyaThomas1), or visit her Amazon store.

3 comments:

  1. Not to worry Tonya, you're not losing it. I do the same thing. Then I have to go out of the room I went in to figure out what it was I went in for in the first place. I once lost my car keys for a week. They were in the frig behind the milk I had bought and put in the frig. I so envy you authors and thank you for giving me a way to retreat from the world if it's even for just a little while each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this all the time. I also start to say something and suddenly can't remember what vitally important information I was going to say. :-) Like you, I have a lot of "stuff" on my mind so I just chalk it up to brain overload and don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the time and why does it always happen when I'm either in the kitchen or walking out the door?

    ReplyDelete